Monday, April 16, 2012

little meat pies

But first, here are my tulips blooming.

And a remaining daffodil.
So, Little Meat Pies.
The dough is 2 1/2 cups flour, and because I was lazy, two sticks of salted butter instead of actually taking the trouble of having to stir a teaspoon of salt into the flour. Cut the butter into the dough until you have a good crumbly mix and then add cold water, just enough to bind the dough but not so its too sticky. Don't be afraid of handling the dough. You can make it tough with over mixing but you mustn't worry. Just authoritatively bind the dough into a ball and let it sit while you dig out your leftover mashed potato, cheese and ham. Roll out the dough and use a glass to cut out rounds. Two rounds per pie. You lather potato on the first round and then a slice of cheese and then a bit of ham.
Then you plunk the second round over the first and fold the edges up. I never bother with wetting the edges or anything. It's too irritating and sticky. I got 12 full pies and three half ones out of one batch of dough.
I can't stand that my camera is so irrevocably sticky that I can't get a picture in focus. SO Maddening.
The children whose birthday it wasn't filled deviled eggs in a sticky disgusting mess. Marigold filled an egg, licked the filling out, filled it again and so the long day wore on.
Pie and eggs for lunch.

And, if you don't feel up to making meat pies, here are some animals who are very very disappointed in you. Mad props to Kellie for bringing this amazing link to my attention.

No comments: